Thursday, October 13, 2016

Lesson 1

LOCOMOTOR & AXIAL

About me: My name is McKenna Hudson and I am currently studying Dance Education as Senior at Brigham Young University. More importantly, I love to dance! I grew up in Corona, California and began dancing at a very young age.  I love sharing with others the joy I feel from dance. I think everyone, no matter age, size, race, etc., should be able to move and learn through dance. This is why I am so grateful to be apart of this Arts Bridge Program.


Visit One:
I was so incredibly excited to teach the second graders of Mrs. Nielson's class. The excitement, mixed with the nerves, motivated me to created a lesson plan that would challenge them, but still allow them to have fun. So, there I stood on October 7th in the Riverview Elementary Gym. The energy filled students began to walk in and I new I would have to take command and show authority right away.

I began by clearly stating my rules, which was crucial for behavior management. From there we began to warm up, walking, skipping, and leaping in different pathways: zig zag, curved, and straight. After defining axial and locomotor, we spread out in the space, and explored these movements. This included making shapes on command and performing different axial and locomotor movement. 
Finally, we created a "dance" incorporating locomotor movements with pathways, axial movements, and shapes. The students performed for one another and enjoyed seeing how everyone moved differently. 


Overall, this first teaching experience with these students was awesome and fun! I did notice that I will need to be strict at necessary times and give out warnings when appropriate. Because they have so much energy, they tend to display that energy through chaos. It will be a positive challenge for me to discipline them in order to gain control. I am so excited to keep working and find ways to challenge and engage these wonderful second grade students.





No comments:

Post a Comment