Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Lesson 2

HALLOWEEN

I was so excited to teach this lesson because it was a Halloween focused lesson. I started by just having some fun and warming up the dancers with Halloween themed characters. For example, we danced as ghosts - light and soft - as well as zombies, mummies, spiders, and more. During the entire class, we were able to use exciting halloween music. They had so much fun! 

From there, we moved into the bulk of the lesson. As the dancers gathered around, I read a halloween
story to them. I had printed out pictures that related to the main events in the story so that the dancers would be able to make connections. With those pictures, I mixed up the order, and the dancers were responsible for putting the story in the correct order.

As we spread out in the gym, we danced according to the story. We started walking as the boy in the story did, and then began to skip. As we progressed through dancing the story, we made tree like shapes, tall and asymmetrical, and began falling like leaves. We also played with the idea of moving like a skeleton. We focused on certain body parts as well as the body as a whole by vibrating, swinging, and exploding. We continued on, dancing the story, and moved as bats and pumpkins. The dancers played with negative space by "flying" around the other dancers holding a shape. They seemed to be engaged and having a blast!

As we gathered back together, we went through the story one last time and identified how we moved for the different main events of the story. The students overall were fully engaged. I had so much fun dancing with them and cannot wait to dance with them again!

3 comments:

  1. McKenna, I love that you took advantage of the holiday and had fun with Halloween. I am sure the students had a great time with this lesson! I also love that you used visuals to assist in your lesson. Reading the book and printing off pictures is a great way to help all students connect to a dance objective. What an exciting and creative lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mckenna, this lesson plan is awesome! I absolutely love how you read them a story and had them dance through it. I am sure that helped them with their imagery and allowed them to really get into a certain feeling which is a really great success! I love the halloween themed actvities and no doubt the kids loved them! I also like how you used halloween music because I think that probably really helped them get into character. All of the things you did made dance accessible and fun for them! Great job!

    ReplyDelete